This week’s episode of Newtype Rhythms comes during uncertain times – the world has turned upside-down and it’s more important than ever before to keep calm and buoy each other’s spirits. The consistency of keeping this weekly series afloat is going to be one way to keep things progressing; as the days will turn to weeks, and weeks turn into months.
Through continuous content coming from artists, labels, publications and more, we as a collective community can get through this universal hardship by letting things like this permeate even for a moment during these troublesome times. That’s why this week’s edition of the show comes with a bountiful, relieving guest mix from Japanese artist Chihei Hatakeyama.
Since the mid-2000s, Hatakeyama has built upon a sound that evokes the worlds of ambient, drone and experimental genres with a focus on repeating instrumentations from guitar, piano and vibraphone and processing it through a laptop cyclically.
The results that have come from Hatakeyama’s compositional exploration have led to releases for the likes of labels such as Kranky, Room40 and most recently Subcontinental Records. In addition to this, Chihei has also released material of his own and his contemporaries on his own White Paddy Mountain imprint, which has some sonic representation within this guest mix.
This mix is nothing short of a deep breath, something for us all to inhale and exhale to and ease up. Times are tough for everyone, and music is just one little thing that can help get us through – so dive in and get comfortable. Hatakeyama’s guest mix is 54 minutes in, with resident Sheepshead warming up with some ambient tones to start.
00:00 – 54:07 – mixed by Sheepshead
1. Chekov – Blanked Out
2. Midori Hirano – Invisible Island
3. Ryuichi Sakamoto – Casa
4. Aquarian – New York, An Eternity
5. Tycho – Dictaphone’s Lament
6. Hoedh – Hoedh (Sonnenklang)
7. Andrea – Lana
8. Piero Milesi & Daniel Bacalov – Camera 1 Parte
9. Arovane & Hior Chronik – Relief
10. Stephan Mathieu – [Wurmloch]
11. Rei Harakami – Again
54:29 – END – mixed by Chihei Hatakeyama
1. Chihei Hatakeyama & Federico Durand – Luisa
2. Chihei Hatakeyama – Sea Of Clouds
3. Chihei Hatakeyama – Raging Wave
4. Grizzly Prospector – Life goes on, it always does, until it doesn’t
5. Hakobune & Dirk Serries – Harrowing Surface
6. Jeremy Young & Aaron Martin – A Pulse Passes From Hand To Hand III
7. Chihei Hatakeyama – Sleeping And Listening On The Beach
8. Chihei Hatakeyama – I Am A Cat
9. Chihei Hatakeyama – Nangoku
10. Celer – Natural Destinations
11. Asuna – Lonesome Lark Who I Am Remember
12. H.Takahashi – Eroding
12. Ken Ikeda & Chihei Hatakeyama – Koke
13. mori no fushigi – ya mai mo
14. Satomimagae – Niji