For the 18th edition of our Farr Festival podcast series we’ve enlisted London-based DJ, producer and remixer Leo Zero to compile a 33-track “Boy’s Own Megamix” to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Terry Farley’s iconic imprint and magazine, founded in 1987 with Andrew Weatherall, Cymon Eccles and Steve Mayes. The mix features tracks from The Chemical Brothers, Sabres Of Paradise, Talk Talk, Primal Scream, William Orbit, My Bloody Valentine and a whole load more.
Leo Zero has produced remixes for an array of global artists including Florence & The Machine, Bryan Ferry & Paul Weller to underground club tracks on his Leo Trax label, plus countless numbers of re-edits and re-works, which he spins on the Cosmic Disco / Balearic circuit as a DJ worldwide.
This summer you can catch Leo Zero playing at the Boy’s Own stage takeover of the “Hidden Palace” at Farr Festival on Saturday 16th July alongside Gilles Peterson, Terry Farley, Sean Johnston, Nancy Noise, Pete Heller, Daren Nunes and Mike Dunn.
“So it’s sometime in 1986-87, and I pick up a fanzine in American Classics on The King’s Road…I’m a 15 year old suburban kid, on my regular Saturday trip to London town, which I SO badly want to be part of.
This scruffy mag turns into my equivalent of a sneering, piss-taking older brother…with an amazing record collection and wardrobe – and I desperately want IN to his world….
My mates and I would spend the next few years pretty much out every night – falling in love with tough-nut girls from South London…. falling in love with cheesy Italian records…. falling in love with Acid House and all that came with it… and doing daft kung-fu dancing in Sunday sailing clubs, fields, and even fucking cow sheds….
And all this to a soundtrack supplied by a collective of DJ’s who were so worshiped – When they’d farted half of Berkshire would have been straight down to Flying on the Monday to hum the noise and see if they could get a copy.
Farley, Weatherall, Pete Heller, Rocky, Diesel, and all the others – I salute you and all those swingy, chuggy grooves you made famous.
A truly magical time was had by all. BIG LOVE.”
- Discover the complete Farr Festival lineup.
- Listen to the entire Farr Festival x Inverted Audio podcast series on Soundcloud.
1. *Bobby Gillespie Quote intro
2. The Chemical Brothers – One Too Many Mornings
3. The Sabres of Paradise – Smokebelch – Ambient Mix
4. Edie Brickell & The New Bohemians – What I Am
5. Less Stress – Don’t Dream It’s Over
6. Talk Talk – Life’s What You Make It
7. Izit – Stories
8. *Woodstock sample
9. Primal Scream – Loaded ( Terry Farley Mix)
10. Transglobal Underground – Temple Head
11. The Tymes – Lundi Blue ( The Grid Praise The Lord Mix)
12. Robyx – Piano Negro
13. Primal Scream – Come Together
14. *Woodstock sample
15. Carly Simon – Why
16. Les Negresses Vertes – Zobi La Mouch ( William Orbit Mix)
17. William Orbit – Fire and Mercy
18. Chaz Jankel – Glad To Know You (Guitar Intro)
19. Code 61 – Drop The Deal
20. Sting – An Englishman In New York
21. The Grid – Floatation (Subsonic Swing Mix)
22. My Bloody Valentine – Glider (Andrew Weatheral Mix)
23. That Petrol Emotion – Abandon (Boys Own Mix)
24. Piano Fantasia – Song For Denise
25. Happy Mondays – Halelujah (Club Mix)
26. Kwaanza Posse – Wicked Funk
27. Bocca Juniors – Raise
28. Orchestra JB – On A Love Groove
29. Tulio De Piscopo – Primavera
30. Neutron 9000 – Love’s Got A Feeling
31. Don Pablo’s Animals – IBIZA III
32. Sheer Taft – Cascades
33. BBG – Snappiness