For March’s Radio Punctum show and to mark 12 episodes through the Prague-based independent radio, host Freddie Hudson took listeners through a special edition, exclusively playing music released on the Mappa label, an avant-garde and experimental ambient label from Slovakia.
Mappa self defines its work as ‘Liquid Cartography’ (map-making), and it’s quite clear on listening to their music how they approach documenting fictional and literal surroundings. The label has released numerous field recording releases (featuring prominent Czech and Slovak field recordists and sound artists such as Stanislav Abráham, Lucie Vítková and Jonáš Gruska), and a growing plethora of intriguingly singular LPs from a broad spectrum of artists.
Freddie’s selection from their catalogue takes us through some of their more recent releases, including Gryke Pyje’s latest album, and the recently released and utterly bewitching Cucina Povera tape. More oddities are served from older catalogue pieces, with the mix finishing on an excerpt of Lucie Nimcova and Sholto Dobie’s DILO album, a field recording album like no other, documenting a disappearing Ukrainian folk song culture.
Inverted Audio Radio returns on 26 April.
1. Lenka Novosedlíková – Sarah Hennies: Sisters Side A Extract [Mappa]
2. Line Gate – Apex Side B Extract [Mappa]
3. Cucina Povera – Lämpö [Mappa]
4. Grykë Pyje – The Cloud Of Secret Pleasures [Mappa]
5. Grykë Pyje – Glittering Embalming [Mappa]
6. Grykë Pyje – The Turning Point [Mappa]
7. Grykë Pyje – Return of the Mystic Channeler [Mappa]
8. Grykë Pyje – Collision And Coalescence [Mappa]
9. Olli Aarni – Tähtitaivas täkkinä [Mappa]
10. Atte Elias Kantonen – Frog Against A Frog [Mappa]
11. Atte Elias Kantonen – Had A Thought Once [Mappa]
12. Atte Elias Kantonen – Sheet Musick [Mappa]
13. IQ+1 – Thermometer [Mappa]
14. Lucia Nimcová & Sholto Dobie – Cuckoo is cooing, lifeless in a world of misery Extract [Mappa]