It’s this time of the year again: Best of lists are back! You hate them, right? Well, don’t be such a grinch. This best tracks list’s only purpose is to dispense a tiny dose of what’s been, once again, a brilliant year for musical creation, with plenty more than just dozens of top-notch EPs and albums.
Your favourite track didn’t make it into our selection? A 30-track list is too narrow to stick them all? We know this, don’t worry. Don’t forget these lists aren’t meant to demean absentees. There’d be no point in turning this yearly celebration into an autocratic ranking of supposed tastefulness.
Hence the difficulty selecting what we think is the most representative sample of our 2015 journey. Fellow Inverted Audio companions, we hope you’ll enjoy this track list as much as we enjoyed collating these beautiful audio pieces for you. Stream the entire list on YouTube or Playmoss.
30. Tissu – Ground Loop [Mörk]
29. Christopher Rau – Sekt E Ron [Dérive]
28. Michal Turtle – Astral Decoy [Music From Memory]
27. STL – Heaven’s Vape [Smallville Records]
26. Sound Stream – Sweep Magic [Sound Stream]
25. Axel Boman – 1979 [Pampa Records]
24. Domenique Dumont – L’Esprit de l’Escalier [Antinote]
23. J-Zbel – ZHF (Poppers Mix) [Brothers From Different Mothers]
22. Jacques Gaspard Biberkopf – Age Of Aquarius [Knives]
21. Patricia – Mercury in Retrograde [Opal Tapes]
20. Mall Grab – Happiness [Shall Not Fade]
19. Art Crime – Obsession [Phonica Records]
18. Antenna – Lake Of X [Clone Royal Oak]
17. Galcher Lustwerk – I Neva Seen [Lustwerk Music]
16. Call Super ‘Migrant’ [Houndstooth]
15. Local Artist – Feelings [Rhythm Section]
14. Mutual Attraction – Lost Tape [Nous]
13. Flørist – Final Bounce [All Caps]
12. Alvin Aronson – Drone Techno [White Material]
11. Mariam the Believer – Invisible Giving (Wolf Müller Remix) [Emotional] Especial
10. 45 ACP – Ground To Ground [L.I.E.S.]
9. Jack J – Thirstin’ [Future Times]
8. Ekman – GMMDI (Breaker 1 2 Remix) [Berceuse Heroique]
7. Rezzett – Goodness [The Trilogy Tapes]
6. Florian Kupfer – Discotag [W.T. Records]
5. Leon Vynehall – Midnight on Rainbow Road [Rush Hour]
Amidst Gerd Janson’s ‘Musik For Autobahns 2’ first-class collection, Leon Vynehall’s ‘Midnight On Rainbow Road’ makes for a sublime standard bearer. Once again, the British producer’s sense for moving house motifs and crystalline musicality remain unmatched. Let yourself go with that blissful roll of subtle synth modulations and lacy layers, this is the epitome of deep, intelligent travel music.
4. Lipelis – It’s Alright (Ft. Holkin) [L.I.E.S.]
For his first outing on Ron Morelli’s label, Moscow-based producer Lipelis outdid many with a three-track plate of weird disco-savvy edits. Fueled on an impeccable sample science whilst infusing a good amount of humor and derision in his tracks – Barbara Markay’s ‘It’s All Rite To Fuck All Nite’ is here to attest, the whole record’s been one of this year’s nicest surprises.
3. Nicolas Jaar – Swim / Mistress [Other People]
Nicolas Jaar drops a savagely beautiful two-tracker. Shifting scopes between rough analogue drum patterns and sublime detuned piano etherealness on one side and the other, the NY-based producer is a melody funambulist, as much comfortable with contemplative abstraction as he is with the physical matter of a straight floor-aimed track. Simply delightful.
2. DJ Richard – Savage Coast [Dial]
DJ Richard’s album has been one of this year’s highlight releases, and one of these rare examples of an eagerly awaited album that revealed much deeper than we’d have even figured. A ten-track expanse of audio presence used at its best, pushing back its own limits with every track like on the obsessive Savage Coast, all doped on rainbow-coloured synth swirls and tight-laced sub bass. Intense.
1. PLO Man – Type Damascus [Acting Press]
PLO Man’s Acting Press imprint have provided nothing but pure fire for their breakthrough year. Three game-changers from mostly unknown producers delivering a peculiar blend of micro-house, leftfield, jungle-isms and vanguard techno with massive effect. The BCR resident tops our yearly selection with a multi-angled gem, offering a fascinating preview of electronic music’s possible future. Over the top and beyond.
45 ACPAlvin AronsonAntennaArt CrimeAxel BomanCall SuperChristopher RauDJ RichardDomenique DumontEkmanFlorian KupferFløristGalcher LustwerkJ-ZbelJack JJacques Gaspard BiberkopfLeon VynehallLipelisLocal ArtistMall GrabMariam the BelieverMichal TurtleMutual AttractionNicolas JaarPatriciaPLO ManRezzettSoundstreamSTLTissu[Emotional] EspecialActing PressAll CapsAntinoteBerceuse HeroiqueBrothers From Different MothersClone RecordsDérive SchallplattenDialFuture TimesHoundstoothKnivesL.I.E.S.Lustwerk MusicMörkMusic From MemoryNousOpal TapesOther PeoplePampa RecordsPhonica RecordsRhythm SectionRush HourShall Not FadeSmallville RecordsSoundstreamThe Trilogy TapesW.T. RecordsWhite MaterialAmbientDrum & BassDubElectronicExperimentalHouseJungleTechno